Hummingbird Cake

From my collection of cookbooks I found this recipe in the bible of all cookbooks: Martha Stewart Living Cookbook, The New Classics. Not only is it huge, but it has over 1200 recipes. Even though I have only made a handful, it will be my go-to cook book for as long as I can turn on a stove and blog recipes. Anyways, I have wanted to try this hummingbird cake for a very long time. I think it was when I visited my favorite cup cake shop over a weekend, but they only make hummingbird cupcakes on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. So since I had all the ingredients it was the perfect time to try it out. Here it is!

"Some say this southern layer cake earned its name because each otherworldly bite makes you hum with delight. Another theory is that it's as sweet as the sugared water used to attract its hovering namesake."

Unsalted butter, room temperature, for pans and racks
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
3 cups mashed ripe banana, about 3 large
1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans
1 cup desiccated coconut, unsweetened

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in the center. Butter two 9-by-2-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper. Butter paper, and dust the pans with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat oil, vanilla, and sugar until combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, incorporating each before adding the next. Beat at medium speed until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy, about 3 minutes. In a medium bowl, mix together banana, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut. Add to egg mixture; stir until well combined. Add flour mixture; blend well.



 Divide batter between pans. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer pans to a greased wire rack. Let cool 15 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen. Invert onto racks; reinvert, top side up. Cool completely. Assemble cake, or wrap each layer well and freeze (thaw before using).



 Assemble Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:


3/4 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound confectioners' sugar

 This is a delicious recipe, super moist and incredibly banana-y. Danny loved it! The only thing I would change is more pineapple. I love pineapple, just like in the carrot cake I make. As far as I am concerned, the more the better! 


Comments