Caramel Coated Apples

Caramel coated apples are by far my favorite go to dessert. It's something about the sweet, tart apples with a decadent layer of caramel. Plus, I feel better about eating more than one because it's mostly all apple! An apple a day keeps the doctor away, right? So two would be ever better!


Caramel Recipe (from the family of Melodie Buyington)

2 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup Karo syrup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 small can sweetened condensed milk


Melt butter and sugar together over medium heat. Add the Karo syrup, vanilla and salt then slowly stir in the sweetened condensed milk. Continue to stir over medium heat until the mixture reaches soft ball stage on a candy thermometer.
At this point, keep the caramel on a low heat while you dip each apple and stir frequently. This recipe takes about 6 to 8 apples. Once the apples are evenly coated you can sprinkle or plunge the apples into slivered toasted almonds, toasted coconut, chocolate chips (if the caramel isn't too hot or the chips will melt), candies and whatever else you love with caramel. I used slivered almonds, mini chocolate chips and marshmallow fluff! Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to cool and harden!

Cut into pieces and enjoy! It's a crowd pleasing treat! Believe me!

I will never take credit for coming up with this recipe. But I can make other creative goodies with it instead. It's from my dear friend Melodie and her family. I make them several times a year and it is by far the best caramel I have ever had. I love it.

Check out the Caramels I made for my wedding almost one year ago! 
 
With the extra caramel I had I ingeniously made caramel candies. All I did was use my ice cube tray as a mold. I put almonds and chocolate chips in the bottom of each cubical of the tray and topped with warm caramel. Since the caramel was cooling down at this point the caramel had a fudge like texture. They are really good and it's a great way to use extra caramel! 

Comments