Thanksgiving Help Is Here!

With all the hustle that the holidays bring, sometimes not everything goes as planned, especially when it comes to preparing a huge feast for small group or a large family gathering. Help should always be welcomed and don't expect to do everything yourself. Unless you absolutely insist, I'm sure there are a few friends and relatives that don't mind getting their hands in the cavity of that bird (it's my least favorite thing to do) or mind covering themselves with flour while rolling out dough. Or tempt them with a fine cocktail and maybe they would be willing!

So to help with any kitchen mishaps here are some Q & A for turkey day!

Oven Space
Running out of room in the oven? Or too many cooks in the kitchen?
- I usually prep veggies and side dishes days before the big day! That way they can be baked off after the turkey is done and resting! For instance, I make the whipped sweet potatoes, cover and refrigerate, then before baking add the mallows and crumble.
- Also, if you have a warming drawer, use it for bread or dinner rolls.
- Last year I put out my crock pot, turned it on low and poured in soup I made the day before! I think it was butternut squash! That way my guests and my husband (who tends to snoop around the kitchen) can serve themselves soup during the day, before the big meal.




Turkey:
Too dry? To brine or not to brine? Late going in the oven? Bird still frozen?
- Growing up my grandma and mom never made a brine for the turkey, but for the last 3 years since Danny and I have stayed home for thanksgiving I have brined! I have a herb & spice brine and an apple rosemary!  A brine is a salty based seasoning, dry or in a liquid form that has a variety of spices, herbs, citrus and sometimes a combination of the three. It just creates a more flavorful and juicy turkey. You'll need a large stockpot for this or buy brining bags and store in a cooler filled with ice.

- For a turkey that's too dry for whatever reason, slice the meat and cover in gravy. Or use hot broth. 
- If your late at putting your bird in the oven just deconstruct! Place wings, legs and breast on a baking sheet. Season as usual and roast at 450 for 30 minutes, then reduce the temp to 350 degrees and roast until meat is 165 on a instant read thermometer! 
- Usually it will take around 24 to 48 hours to defrost your turkey, so make time. But if it's still frozen, submerge in cold water, replacing and replenishing water every half hour. Sorry! What a pain!
Basic Roast Turkey 
- preheat oven at 325 degrees.
- wash, remove neck and bag of giblets. 
- put your bird in a roasting pan, breast side up, tucking wings under the bird.
- season and fill cavity (veggies & herbs), then use twine to tie the drumsticks together.
- season and butter up the outside of the turkey. I like putting a flavored butter under the skin of the breast meat.
- roast bird until skin is browned and the thigh temperature is 165 degrees or 160 in the thickest part of the breast meat. This is about 15 minutes per pound. Another way to tell your bird is done: using a knife, stab between thigh and leg, the turkey is done if juices run clear. 
- tent with foil and let rest for 30 minutes.
- carve and eat.


Gravy
Lumpy gravy? Thin gravy? Gravy taste like flour? How do I make gravy even more delicious? 
- if your gravy is lumpy, put on the stove top over high heat and whisk in hot chicken or veggie stock until your lumps are no longer there!
- if your gravy tastes like flour then you didn't let it cook long enough to dissolve and take on the favor of the pan. What I would do? Bring gravy to a low boil (make it hot) and whisk in a little milk or more broth to try to dissolve any flour. Cook and taste. 
- if your gravy is too thin make a slurry to whisk in or a roux.

Slurry
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp cornstarch

Mix the two to create a slurry. You can substitute arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch. 

Roux
4 tbsp butter (or fat like your pan drippings)
6 tbsp flour

With the butter warm stir in the flour to create a roux.

- Whisk in cognac or bourbon to finish a gravy! That's really tasty! Or try shallots, garlic and fresh herbs! 


Stuffing:
Side dish or stuff your bird? 
- I don't stuff the bird, just because I'm scared it won't turn out right and someone will get sick. The whole thing has to do with your bird being over cooked while the stuffing is under a safe temperature. Gross. So, I'd play if safe and bake the stuffing separately. 
- I love homemade stuffing, especially with leeks, I don't know why but I love leeks. This year I'm going to try a pumpkin cornbread stuffing (with leeks and sage sausage) that is gluten free. Yes, it can be done.

For those who like to kill two birds with one stone: make these moist Carrot Cake Cupcakes and use half of them to make my Carrot Stuffing with Bacon & Leeks. I love leeks!
Mashed Potatoes:
Creamy potatoes without the cream? 
- Of course, you can use a combo of rice milk and cheese, like a sharp cheddar, goat cheese or a white cheese like provolone. Or if your not using any dairy, go for rice milk and vegan butter (Earth Balance). Add caramelized onions or using nutritional yeast adds a cheesy taste (no kidding, it's true).

Green Bean casserole: 
If I want to use fresh onions how do I make them crispy? Can this dish be vegan? 
- While baking the casserole, fry up thinly sliced raw onion or shallots in a sauté pan until crispy. Drain excess oil on a paper towel then add to the top of the baked casserole.
- Another tip! Add shredded rutabaga to hot oil until crispy. Add those to the top of the green beans. 
- You sure make it vegan! That is if you make everything yourself, which I understand can be daunting, especially since if you're already preparing everything else. First, make a cream of mushroom soup, then add your blanched beans, seasonings and bake. Or, you can make the beans on the stove top in a large skillet with sauteed mushrooms, garlic, vegetable broth, fresh thyme sprigs, salt and pepper. Top with toasted almonds before they hit the table.


Pie:
Crack in my dough? Soggy dough? 
- I love pie crust! I use to take the crust and run it in whipped cream, which usually was piled high on my plate. By far, my favorite part of the meal. This year I found a mix for Gluten Free pie crust!  The only down side though is that it does have dairy in it. But it's the holidays and I absolutely won't go without eating pie.
- If your dough is cracking while you are working with it then it may be too cold. Let it rest a bit to get the butter to warm up. Or you can add a dab of water to pinch the seams together. But you don't want to work the dough too much, resulting in a tough crust, you want a tender crust! If you pressed for time and can't wait for the dough to rest fixing a crack is easy with the leaf designed dough cutters. It makes any unsightly dough into a beautiful holiday masterpiece.


- If you have a wet, soggy dough then add a dusting of flour to help bind it together.
- Alton Brown recommends using less water and replacing it with vodka. Apparently the crust comes out more flaky and "less gummy."

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments